Less than 7 days out and the apartment is in full-on tornado mode. The posts for the next week or so will be pretty sporadic, my apologies.
Everyone with a pulse knows that moving is stressful and moving across the country increases that stress tenfold. I give a tip of the hat to my husband, David, as he’s really done the lion’s share of the packing thus far. We’re at a place now where 40% of the apartment is packed up and we still have 60% left to go. While progress has been made, there’s still a ton to do–no matter how much we pack, more stuff inevitably materializes.
Here are some of the worst parts about moving…
5. Zero Counter Space. This is most evident in the kitchen, where endless bric-a-brac is on every inch of the counter top. Nowhere to make my breakfast!
4. Boxes. Boxes everywhere, as far as the eye can see. Big boxes, little boxes, medium-sized boxes. Full boxes, half full boxes, not yet assembled boxes. Jerry Seinfeld was right.
3. Laundry. We move next Tuesday, I still need clean clothes to wear. When do I do the last load of laundry? When do I pack up my remaining clothes? What do I do with dirty clothes after that? How can I live like this?!?
2. Walking Through the Door. Since we started boxing things up over the weekend, every time I come home I’m reminded “yeah, you’re moving and this is what your life looks like now. Now and for the foreseeable future.” I spent so much time making the apartment look nice and now I’ll have to start all over again. Which, don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about, but it’s also daunting.
1. Trying to Explain Things to Burrito. This is a challenge, because she is a cat. She’ll have a long drive on Tuesday and I’ve tried telling her this, but it’s tough to know if she’s really hearing and understanding me.
Goodbye for meow.